Thursday, September 30, 2010

Peer Mentor Program at SCSU

The Peer Mentor Program is one of the best (and most effective, in my opinion) parts of the FYE/INQ experience. People in all stages of life need mentors, and certainly faculty can mentor students on one level, but peer mentors can speak to a whole set of experiences that faculty know less about. Last year I had a very positive experience -- two great peer mentors who my students liked a lot and felt comfortable enough with to ask all those questions they couldn't ask me. My peer mentors also were able to help with publicizing the "events on campus" and talking about the social aspects of college life which are two areas that I know less about and never emphasize enough in my academically-focused INQ syllabus.

This year I am again lucky to work with two great peer mentors who bring unique and interesting perspectives to my class. For example, today Kaitlyn assisted my class in participating in the Red Flag Campaign, a national campaign to raise awareness about dating violence, especially on college campuses.



In my second class, Lee facilitated a stress-reducing workshop centered around laughter. All of my students who came to conference with me afterward were smiling and feeling good about having taken time out of their hectic schedules to laugh.



My students benefit so much from their interactions with these campus leaders and role models -- but so do I. Thanks for making our classes go that one step further!

No comments:

Post a Comment